top of page

Lynemouth Colliery

The site neighbours the Lynemouth Power Station, which has since converted to burn biomass only. A large wind turbine looms over the site. No doubt better for the environment, but a cruel reminder that these pits are truly no longer required.

The Grade II* Listed Lynemouth Colliery Pithead baths were built in 1938, designed by F.G. Frizzell in the Modern Movement style. After the pit closure in 1994, the building had been left to the elements. After years of vandalism and theft, the site has been cleared out. Only the shell remains - a maze of rooms, each leading to another, making it easy to become disorientated.

© 2025 by SARAH JANE OWEN PHOTOGRAPHY. Powered and secured by Wix

  • Instagram
bottom of page